Acrylic calendars. Acrylic award plaques. Acrylic corporate lobby signage. This transparent material has found its way into almost every application and facet of office signage. So, don’t fret: you’re not alone in considering it as a versatile solution to your business’s signage needs.
If you’ve decided to go with acrylic, one thing you should reflect on how translucent you want your signs to be; after all, the options for this type of signage is abundant. And, contrary to what you may have thought before clicking into this blog, the choice is not a simple binary of frosted or clear. There’s also second surface clear acrylic, standard surface clear acrylic, dimensional letter front acrylic and a whole lot more.
Wait…what’s with all the types and sub types? What do they mean?
Let’s start with clear acrylic signage and work our way down from there.
- Clear Acrylic Signs – This is the standard for the industry. Clear acrylic, like tempered glass, allows for complete transparency and shatterproof durability. In this style, we print directly onto the front or back of the acrylic.
– Standard surface refers to the placement of the design’s ink. The image will be printed on the front side of sign, and as a result, remain exposed. The design itself will showcase a matte sheen that is susceptible to scratching. If you like contrast and prefer a less reflective design, this may be the way to go.
– Second surface clear acrylic will give your design a transparent gloss. In this approach, the design is printed on the back, but facing toward the front. For those who enjoy depth and wish to protect their custom graphics, there’s no better choice.
- Frosted Acrylic Signs – Frosted acrylic makes use of a special overlay to diffuse light across the surface. The result is the characteristic blurred effect that we associate with a foggy window or – you guessed it – frosted glass. It’s a cool look, without a doubt; but it also gives the added benefit of privacy, assuming your signage is large or separating one area from another.
- Dimensional Letter Front Acrylic – this is a key option if you are wanting to add depth to the look of your standard acrylic sign. We can had ½” PVC letters in whatever color you’d like to the front of the acrylic with durable double-sided tape to achieve the look you are wanting. The acrylic backer can also still be printed on or given a color, frosted look as well along with the dimension.
Now that you know the types and benefits of acrylic signage, weigh your options.
Acrylic signs also have the added benefit of being installed using sign stand-offs! This makes for a clean look against any wall and is easy to uninstall and take with you once your business grows and you are relocating to a new space. Want to learn more about stand-offs?
For more information on acrylic signs, you can rely on the experts at Signarama Louisville East! From concept to design & installation – we have you covered!